Bird on a mountain

Trying to fly, sitting on this mountain

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

HUH?

After reading this Lubavitcher Rebbe's view on why a sheitel is different than a tichel I am just left going "huh?". REALLY? I have NEVER in my life seen a woman in a tichel take it off in public and put it in her pocket! The women that I know who wear tichels are highly tznius women... I think that comment is so odd, and dare I say ignorant. Maybe in that time it was true that sheitel wearers were more committed, but today that is certainly not the case. The two times I saw married women uncover their hair in public (both were in a car) they were wearing sheitels, not tichels. One was as a child, she was a friend's mother on the way off the derech. The second was a "frum" sheitel macher who was giving me a ride, at night, out of Brooklyn. She then walked from the car to the house with her hair uncovered. So in my experience the level of commitment of those that wear sheitel and those that wear tichels is exactly the opposite of the view stated by Chabad. :shrug:

Well, I got that off my chest.

We had a nice trip to Jerusalem for a few days. My kids rode an escalator for the first time in their memory. They enjoyed it. They were so cute, asking questions about how it worked. They also enjoyed the fountain, the glass elevator and the little rides at the mall. There is so much gashmeeyus out there! Yeah, I know what else do I expect to find in a mall? LOL! It was HOT outside, the mall has AC. It was nice to visit friends but I am glad to be home.

Speaking of my friends, one of them is discovering that American olim cannot really be charedi. A fact that I tried to convince my friends (who thought they were charedi whereas I always say that I cannot be charedi) of for years. "Charedi" is a label people use that describes a social construct. It means many things that have nothing to do with torah. My friend discovered that it means that her sheitel will go exactly to the point on her neck that her daughter's future principal said it will, that her skirts will be exactly 15cm below her knee and above her ankle. She discovered awhile ago that being American makes her "2nd pick" for things like chardei schools. This probably holds true for chardei shidduchim as well. One of the major attributes of charedi parents is the "busha"- embarrassment. They are forever embarrassed by their children- unless their children are perfect chareidim, of course. If their son works, goes to the army, etc. etc. I can't imagine myself having that busha. There is obviously hashgacha pratis in my life, my kids were given to me and I to them because Hashem has a plan, They are not little extentions of me. Hashem created them with their own tachlis and tikkun...

I could go on for awhile, but my son will be home soon and I'm still in Pjs so I will have to continue later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site 
Meter